The Policy for International Travel Safety and Compliance applies to official international travel of all UA Employees (Faculty, Staff, and Graduate students) regardless of the funding source.  Official University travel includes, but is not limited to travel for: conferences, research, sabbatical, partnership collaboration and development.  This policy does not apply to personal travel.

The policy and procedures facilitate: 

  • Information, resources, and guidance to UA travelers to maximize their safety and health while traveling abroad

  • Facilitate immediate access to data on the location of UA international travelers and to communicate rapidly with UA travelers to verify well-being and provide instructions or guidance if needed

  • Evaluate applicability of state and federal regulatory requirements in advance of international travel to provide direction on compliance and avoid potential penalties including imprisonment and severe fines

    Compliance is necessary to:

    • Receive reimbursement for travel expenses, if eligible
    • Be covered by applicable insurance programs during international travel
    • Receive UA academic credit for international coursework, if eligible
    • Receive available university assistance in the event of an emergency during international travel
    • Avoid significant personal fines and potential prison sentences, internationally
    • Avoid disciplinary action and/or limitations on future UA travel
    • Adhere to related applicable UA, state, and federal policies

    Required steps for International Travel (Must be complete at least 30 days prior to departure)

    1. Register travel in the University International Travel Registry.

      To complete registration the Itinerary and Travel Questionnaire must be completed.
    2. If you are traveling to a country with Travel Warning you must complete the Supplemental Travel Authorization Form, print it and submit it along with the travel authorization form.
    3. Complete the Travel Authorization Form and submit it to the Mathematics Business Office.
      Each new TA form generates a new TA number for each trip.  Your registration number is available on the Traveler Home page. After registering you will receive emails indicating changes to the registration status.  For most UA international travel these are the only two required steps.  The registration status will indicate if any additional steps are required.

    The following types of travel require additional action and take a minimum of 30 days to coordinate:

    Travel to a country with a Travel Warning:

    • Complete the Supplemental Travel Authorization, available under the “Materials” section of the Travel Registry.  If traveling with a group, obtain each traveler’s signature.
    • Obtain approval signatures from your direct supervisor (Department Head, Director, or Dean) and/or Faculty Advisor, as applicable.  
    • Click here for further information regarding UA travel to Mexico.
    • Submit the Supplemental and standard TA forms for review by the International Travel Safety Oversight Committee (ITSOC). ITSOC makes recommendations to the health and safety considerations of the travel to the Provost.  Please note, review of travel information received less than 30 days prior to departure cannot be guaranteed.  If less than 30 days remain prior to departure, email travel paperwork directly to the International Risk Analyst.

    Travel with Export Control Considerations

    The UA Export Control Office will contact you based on your responses to the Questionnaire in the Travel Registry to determine if U.S. government export authorization (license or license exception) is required.  Export licenses takes between two and six months) to prepare and receive authorization. Contact the Export Control Office as soon as possible if an export authorization is likely required or if you have questions or concerns about what you plan to take outside the U.S.

    Travel under Federal Contract or to a U.S. military installation abroad

    If your response to the Questionnaire in the Travel Registry indicates you are traveling as a federal contractor or to a U.S. military installation, Risk Management Services will contact you for further information necessary to obtain Defense Base Act (DBA) insurance.  Allow at least thirty days to obtain federally mandated DBA insurance.

    FINAL STEP: Prior to departure

    1. Check the travel registration status to confirm that travel is approved.
    2. If the status is not approved, determine the remaining required actions.  If you have any questions about your status or the needed actions, contact the International Travel Team. 
      We understand this is an adjustment and strive to support travelers and administrative staff with straightforward and effective processes.  We appreciate campus assistance to assure that UA international travel is safe and federally compliant.  Please contact us with questions, feedback, or requests for further information, trainings, or presentations.

    UA International Travel Team

    Please contact Kay Ellis, Director of Export Control Compliance, with questions about federal export control regulations.

    Please contact Laura Provencher, International Risk Analyst with questions about travel to Travel Warning destinations, the review process, or health and safety of international travel.

    Please contact Steve Holland, Assistant Vice President for Risk Management Services with questions about insurance.

    Please contact Tammy Strom, FSO Assistant Director-Operations with questions about University financial services.

    For any other questions about travel, please email the UA International Travel Team listserv.