Getting Started - Faculty and Appointed Personnel
This page gives step-by-step instructions for faculty, visitors, and post-docs. We have separate instructions for graduate students.
Questions? You can answer many questions by looking through our department website: use the navigational links at the top of each page or the search box in the upper right corner. If you cannot locate an answer, please contact Angelica Aros (email@example.com, 520-626-7989)
Things to do right away (before arriving on campus):
- Sign and return your original offer letter, if you have not already done so.
- If your official start date is more than 2 months out we will process you as a DCC Pre-hire in order to get your University email and NetID set up prior to your arrival on campus. You will receive an email from Angelica Aros (firstname.lastname@example.org) with instructions on how to complete the Designated Campus Colleague Pre-hire process.
- If you have completed the DCC Pre-hire process please skip to step 6.
- As a new hire you will receive 3 emails which will be sent to the personal email address you provided on your application. The first two emails will provide you with your EmplID, a PIN number and instructions for creating a NetID and a University of Arizona email account.
- The last email from HR will provide a direct link to the UAccess Employee system where you will complete and submit your hiring documents online.
- Instructions to assist you in completing the online hiring documents can be found at New Hire Work Center Guide
To access the New Employee Work Center you can use the link sent in the email from HR or you can log on at UAccess Employee Self Service with your NetID and password.
- Once you have logged into UAccess Employee click "New Employee Work Center" on the main page and complete the forms in the following order:
- First complete the "Update Personal Information" Form (should be done immediately and no later than your official start date)
- Second Complete the "Submit I-9" Form (MUST be done prior to your official start date).
- When completing the I-9 some fields will be pre-filled by information transferred from the Personal Information Form.
- Be sure the address for the I-9 is an actual US street address as PO boxes are not acceptable.
- If you do not complete and submit your I-9 on or before your hire official hire date this will automatically change your hire date to the day you complete the form. This also means that you are not authorized to work until the date the I-9 is completed. Contracts and compensation may also change.
- You must submit the required I-9 documents in person to the Business Office prior to your official hire date for final verification of employment eligibility. All documents must be originals and unexpired. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- You can then complete the other required forms in any order you would like. The forms should include: Background Consent form, Background Disclosure form, Loyalty Oath Form, Ethnicity form, Updated Emergency Contacts form, Health Insurance Notice form and the Veteran Status form.
- If you have any questions regarding the hiring process or the forms in the New Employee Work Center please contact Angelica Aros (email@example.com, 520-626-7989). In the event that any additional information is required our Business Office will contact you.
- Upon completion of the hiring process please contact Alejandra Gaona (firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-621-2868) to confirm your arrival date at the University and to address parking permit needs.
- Prepare your travel/relocation plans. You will need to appear personally on campus for payroll identification at least two weeks prior to the first day of classes for the semester. Final arrival dates will be confirmed via email from Tina Deemer and will include mandatory department meetings and workshops. You may also be interested in other meetings and workshops prior to this date. Consult the department calendar of start-of-semester meetings and workshops to guide your planning. Additional meetings or changed meeting times might require your availability on campus at any time between August 15, 2016 and the start of classes on August 22, 2016.
- By July 1, 2016 (or, for late hires, within 2 weeks of when we receive your signed offer letter), you should receive an e-mail from our department, sent to the e-mail address you provided, with information on your new math department e-mail address and network account, and instructions on how to access that e-mail or forward it elsewhere. Once you have received this notification, all subsequent math department communications will be sent to your new math department e-mail address. Please Note: We cannot create a Math Department email address without a UA NetID. If this is delayed in the UA system due to paperwork or other issues, your Math Department email set-up will also be delayed.
- If you currently have a grant that you will be bringing to the department, please contact David Gonzalez (email@example.com, 520-621-2562).
- At the beginning of the Academic year (Fall semester) you will receive an email to electronically accept your contract / notice of appointment within UAccess. This must be accepted within 14 days of the beginning of the academic year.
- If you are going to be teaching, and you have not already received a teaching assignment, please contact Tina M Deemer (firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-621-4765).
- If you are going to be teaching, you will need to be familiar with the contents of the Math Department Instructor Resource Handbook, which covers departmental and university policies and procedures relating to teaching at the UA.
- To familiarize yourself with the campus, it may be helpful to print out a UA Campus Map.
Things to do once you arrive on campus:
- Present your unexpired, original I-9 documents to Angelica Aros in our Business Office which is located in the Mathematics Building, room 119. Please note: If you fail to provide your I-9 documentation by your official start date, the university may withhold your pay for the in-between days.
- Obtain a CatCard (UA Photo Identification Card) by going to the CatCard Office in the Student Union. Be sure to take a government-issued photo I.D. with you as well as your employee ID number. If you do not have your employee ID number please contact Angelica Aros at (520) 626-7989 or email@example.com
- Once you have obtained your CatCard please take it to the Math Department Head Office, Room 109 in the Math Building, to obtain your office assignment and key paperwork, and to have your photo taken for the department photo directory.
- Go to the University Key Desk to obtain office keys. You will need to take your CatCard and your key paperwork with you. This office is located at the far north end of campus, so you may want to use the free CatTran shuttle service.
- Complete the Arizona Public Service Orientation. Arizona state law requires all state employees to complete this orientation that covers policies and laws relating to the proper conduct of business for a public employee. At the conclusion of the orientation, be sure to view and print your certificate of completion and turn it into Angelica Aros in the Math Business Office, room 119.
- If you are benefits eligible you must complete your benefits enrollment within 30 days of your hire/start date. Visit New Employee Orientation to sign up for a New Employee Benefits Orientation session. If cannot sign up please contact Angelica Aros at (520) 626-7989 to enroll you.
- If you still need assistance in completing the enrollment process after you have attend your the Benefits Orientation you can register for an online assistance session at Benefits Assistance Session. Please not that the online assistance session is intended to be for employees who understand their benefits option and are ready to enroll.
- Complete your electronic State and Federal tax forms in UAccess Employee. Once you log into UAccess click on the Main Menu box in the upper left corner of the screen then select Self Service and then Payroll and Compensation. This will bring up the option for you to complete your A-4 and W-4 as well as sign up for Direct Deposit. Click each option and complete accordingly. Please be sure to click save at the bottom of each page to submit your changes.
- New Faculty Orientation - Each year the Faculty Affairs Office holds a New Faculty Orientation for new tenure track faculty. If you do not receive an invitation please contact Asya Roberts
- If you need a parking permit, go to Parking &Transportation Services in the Parking Office Building with your EmplID and your CatCard to arrange for one. (If you made arrangements with Alejandra Gaona (firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-621-2868) for a permit, be sure to follow her modifications to these instructions.)
- If you will be riding a bicycle to campus, you can read about options for bicycle registration and parking.
- Attend all relevant Math Department Meetings (for additional start-of-semester activities that might apply to you, check the start-of-semester calendar):
- Math Department New Employee Orientation on August 15, 2016 at 2:30pm in Math Building, Room 501. At this meeting, you will be introduced to key personnel in the department, go on a tour of our offices, and receive information about payroll, mailboxes, textbooks, office supplies, copy requests, etc.
- Math Department Computing Orientation on August 19, 2016 at 11:00am in Math Building, Room 101. At this meeting, you will be given information about computing resources, options, and support.
- Course Meetings on August 15-18, 2016. All lower-level multi-section courses have initial course meetings on one of these days. These meetings are mandatory for those teaching these courses.
- Other mandatory meetings that might get scheduled between August 15, 2016 and the start of classes on August 22, 2016, will be announced by math department e-mail.
- If you are going to be teaching, go to UAccess Student (click on Instructor Center under UAccess Student) and log on using your UA NetID to obtain class rosters for the course(s) you are scheduled to teach.
- Classes start on August 22, 2016.
Other Important Information/Websites
- UA Math Department Home Page
- Math Department Computing Support Page
- Math Department calendar of start-of-semester meetings
- The University of Arizona Homepage
- Benefits Information
- Tucson Information
Contacts in the Math Department
Contact: Angelica Aros (email@example.com, 520-626-7989)
Contact: David Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-621-2562)
Contact: Tina M Deemer (email@example.com, 520-621-4765)
Contact: Angelica Aros (firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-626-7989)